The range of research work being done by these laboratories is structured around five broad themes, which underline the Research Centre’s commitment to responding to the challenges of the XXIst century and which link up with the issues taken up in Centrale’s training programme: Energy, Environment and Risk, Health and Bioengineering, Nanosciences, Information and business systems.
The École Centrale Paris Research Centre has a consolidated annual budget of over 15M Euros of which 6M Euros for financing projects, including over 3M Euros for partner research with companies. Organised into six laboratories, the Research Centre carries out pluri-disciplinary projects in collaboration with international academic partners and in close cooperation with companies representing the major economic sectors of activity.
Furthermore, the research laboratories are invested in Centrale Paris’s commitment to teaching through research, both in its experimental work and in the projects of its ‘engineer’ programme. The laboratories are the foundation of the research training provided by the research Master programme in ‘Engineering Sciences’.
The School’s laboratories are the foundation of the Doctoral School’s 287 “Engineer Sciences”. This doctoral programme, with its 230 students, is fully in line with the training received by all future Centrale Paris PhDs, providing them with all the skills necessary for a career in the fields of innovation, research and development.
Dean of Research
- Mechanical Engineering, Energetics and Combustion
- Materials Science and Process Engineering
- Applied Physics
- Applied Mathematics
- Industrial Engineering, Economics and Management
6 research departments
- Energetics and Combustion (Énergétique Moléculaire et Macroscopique, Combustion) EM2C (UPR CNRS 288)
- Physical Properties of Materials and Modelling (Structures, Propriétés et Modélisation des Solides) SPMS (UMR CNRS 8580)
- Mechanics, Structures and Materials (Mécanique des Sols, Structures et Matériaux) MSSMat (UMR CNRS 8579)
- Chemical Engineering (Génie des Procédés et Matériaux) LGPM (EA 4038)
- Applied Mathematics and Systems (Mathématiques Appliquées aux Systèmes) MAS (EA 4037)
- Industrial Engineering (Génie Industriel) LGI (EA 2606)
1 research team
- Quantum and Molecular Photonics Laboratory LPQM (UMR 8537 CNRS)
€ 5.3 m per year in industrial contracts and grants (60 contracts/year);
€ 620,000 of investment/year;
31,000 m2 of laboratories, testing areas and offices;
195 publications in international refereed journals (CNRS Rank A);
112 faculty-researchers and full-time researchers (14% CNRS);
80 engineers, technicians and administrative personnel (22% CNRS).
Five main reasons led the École Centrale Paris to set up a strong research centre totally integrated into the educational program of the school :
- To ensure study-through-research not only for students of the École Centrale but also for engineering students,
- Enrich the training of the student-engineers by giving them access to inductive pedagogies in the labs and by enabling those who start their career in R&D to prepare for their future work,
- Provide a basic research of good quality, following the mission of the school,
- Open the school to the outside world and participate in its national and international recognition through the relationships and collaborations with the scientific community and enterprises,
- Contribute to social progress by producing knowledge and by education engineers and doctors mainly for the benefit of enterprises and society.
The École's research center is presently composed of 6 research departments including 1 research team.
- Energetics and Combustion (E.M2.C), CNRS-UPR 288
- Physical Properties of Materials and Modelling (SPMS) - CNRS-UMR 8580
- Mechanics, Structures and Materials (MSSMat) - UMR CNRS 8579
- Chemical Engineering (LGPM) - EA 4038
Applied Mathematics and Systems (MAS) - EA 4037
- Industrial Engineering (LGI) - EA 2606
- Quantum and Molecular Photonic (LPQM) UMR CNRS 8537 - ENS Cachan
Within the context of its mission of training by Research, the École Centrale Paris has a Doctoral School in "Sciences for the Engineer" accredited by the Ministry of National Education, Research and Technology (Doctoral School no 287).
- The Doctorate
- PhD list
- Eligibility conditions
A selection of international papers with referee of École Centrale Paris laboratories.See more
Zoom on ...
List of PhD defenses for the current year.