The M1 year is designed to provide basic training to students of diverse backgrounds, while enabling them to go on to pursue a wide range of second year options, as well as leaving open the possibility of changing orientation during the year.
École Centrale Paris has established a first year Master’s with courses that are common to both the Energy and Applied Sciences fields.
Built around two semesters of 30 credits (ECTS) each, the M1 year is comprised of:
- Major courses, representing the field's main discipline (or a choice from among the main disciplines)
Minor courses, generally coherent with one of the Majors, providing students with complementary scientific training, which might include:
- elective courses, chosen from among a broad range of options including experimental work, courses that enable more in-depth study, applied courses, and Minor complementary courses
- applied courses, chosen from among options designed to promote multidisciplinary approaches, or to complement student training, depending on the background of the individual student.
- a language course, generally English, which is essential for any research career. Students will obtain credits based on the system currently in place at Ecole Centrale Paris. For nonfrancophone students, a French course is offered that provides the minimum level in French necessary to follow courses.
- methodological training, such as a project or practical work, within an authorized host laboratory, spread over both semesters.
Finally, students are also introduced to research careers through their participation in forums, conferences and seminars, as well as laboratory visits. These activities (for which students receive credit, though not ECTS) provide students with an introduction to research at major institutions and corporations.
Credits obtained through the various courses and activities are specifically defined for each course in each of the fields.
Semester 1 (30 ECTS)
- Major + Minor: 25 ECTS
- English (or French as a Foreign Language): 2 ECTS
- Laboratory project (rapport et soutenance d’étape): 3 ECTS
Semester 2 (30 ECTS)
- Major + Minor: 20 ECTS
- English (or Frenchas a Foreign Language): 2 ECTS
- Laboratory Project (progress report and defense): 8 ECTS
The estimated average workload (including individual work) is 35h/week.
Major : 6 required courses (30 ECTS):
- PR3100. Chemical Engineering and Sustainable Development - S7, Elective 2 or S8, Elective 8 (5 ECTS)
- EN1200. Fluid Mechanics - S7, Elective 3 or S8, Elective 8 (5 ECTS)
- PR4200. Electric Energy Networks - S7, Elective 4 or S8, Elective 8 (5 ECTS)
- MA2400. Conception-Simulation - S7, Elective 6 (5 ECTS)
- MA1400. Partial Differential Equations – S5 (5ECTS)
- PR1100. Introduction to Materials - S8, Elective 8 (5 ECTS),
- EN1100. Heat Transfer - S5 or EN1120. Heat Transfer - S8, Elective 12 (5 ECTS)
- EN1300. Applied Thermodynamics - S6 and EN1920. Aerodynamics and Energy Science Laboratory - S5 or S6 (5 ECTS)
Minor: 3 Courses (15 ECTS) from among:
- EN1110. Advanced Heat Transfer - S7, Elective 6 (5 ECTS).
- MG1300. Structural Dynamics and Acoustics - S7, Elective 4 (5 ECTS)
- IS2120. Control Systems - S7, Elective 5 (5 ECTS)
- WP2100. Sustainable Development - S8, Elective 8 (5 ECTS)
- EN1500. Nuclear Engineering - S8, Elective 9 (5 ECTS)
- EN1400. Combustion Modeling and Simulation - S8, Elective 10 (5 ECTS)
- PR4300. Cogeneration and Energy Production - S8, Elective 10 (5 ECTS)
- EN1600. Renewable Energy - S8, Elective 11 (5 ECTS)
- MG2817. Applications of the Finite Element Method - S8, Elective 12 (5 ECTS)
- MG2818. Introduction to Petroleum Exploration and Production - S8, Elective 13 (5 ECTS)
- A group (5 ECTS) of two modules expérimentaux from among:
- IS2950 Electronics Laboratory - S5, S6
- MG1960. Civil Engineering Laboratory - S5, S6
- MG1970. Designs of Mechanical Structures Laboratory - S5, S6
- PH1910. Physics Laboratory - S5, S6
- PR1930. Materials and Corrosion Laboratory - S5, S6
- PR2940. Chemical and Environmental Engineering Laboratory - S5, S6
- SE1950. Reverse Engineering and Rapid Prototyping Laboratory - S5, S6
- MG2920. Sustainable Buildings and Architecture Laboratory - S8, Elective 13 (5 Tuesdays)
- PH2930. Nuclear Physics Laboratory - S8, Elective 13 (5 Tuesdays)
- IS1250. Programming Mobile Devices - S8, Elective 10
- PR3910. Biotechnologies Laboratory - S8, Elective 13 (One-week module 2)
- IS2960. Electronics Laboratory - S8, Elective 13 (One-week module 2)
Project (3 ECTS in S7, 8 ECTS in S8):
- WP5100 or WP7100. Directed Studies - S7 (3 ECTS)
- WP5200 or WP7200. Directed Studies - S8 (8 ECTS)
Languages (2 ECTS in S7, 2 ECTS in S8)
- LC1000. English or LC2000. French as a Foreign Language for non-francophone students - S7 (2 ECTS)
- LC1000. English or LC2000. French as a Foreign Language for non-francophone students - S8 (2 ECTS)